Skip to content
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at Carnegie Mellon in the Mechanical Engineering Department. 9/2022
– Undergraduates Austin, Chloe, Ella, and John present at the Undergraduate Research Project Showcase at Virginia Tech. 9/2022
– Prof. Bartlett holds an outreach event with Blacksburg Middle School students on Octa-glove. 9/2022
– Our lab welcomes new graduate students Wuzhou, Yeunhee, and Ohnyoung into our group. 8/2022
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar in the RX directorate of AFRL. 8/2022
– Our lab receives support from the 8/2022 This is a collaborative research project with NSF Foundational Research in Robotics (FRR) program. to study how to u Prof. Dylan Losey (VT) nify rigid and soft grippers for assistive eating.
– Prof. Bartlett was a guest on 7/2022 discussing Octa-glove, our octopus-inspired underwater adhesive skin, from our Science Friday . Science Advances paper
– Prof. Bartlett participates in C-Tech^2 for rising junior and senior high school young women. 7/2022
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at NIST. 6/2022
– Our lab welcomes new Post-Doctoral Scholar Dong Hae Ho into our group. 6/2022
– Ted Barron receives First Prize in the RoboSoft 2022 – Soft Aerial Robotics Workshop poster session. 5/2022
– Gwyn Schloer receives the Outstanding ME Senior Award. See the 5/2022 and story video.
– Prof. Bartlett attends MRS S 22, presents on Morphing Materials and Self-healing electronics, and chairs a session on Robotic Materials. 5/2022
– Prof. Bartlett receives the Outstanding New Assistant Professor Award from the College of Engineering. 5/2022
– Brittan Wilcox and Tyler Pozarycki receive the Best Poster Award at the ME Graduate Symposium. 4/2022
– Prof. Bartlett was a guest on the Soft Robotics Podcast discussing shape morphing materials from our 4/2022 . Listen to the conversation on Science Robotics paper SoundCloud, Spotify, YouTube, IEEE RAS Page, and other podcast services.
– Ted Barron receives the Best Poster Award at the MII Technical Conference. 3/2022
– Dohgyu successfully defends his PhD! He will start at Dow this spring. 12/2021
– Prof. Bartlett gives a seminar in the Galileo learning community in Center for the Enhancement of Engineering Diversity (CEED) at VT. 11/2021
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited talk in the Smart Materials and Intelligent Systems Seminar 10/2021 on morphing robots and electronics.
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited talk in the 9/2021 Virtual Adhesion Science Gathering on switchable adhesives.
– Our lab welcomes new graduate student Tyler Pozarycki into our group. 9/2021
– Haque begins a postdoctoral position with Prof. Jordan Raney (UPenn). 9/2021
– Our lab welcomes new graduate students Elizabeth Krotz, Brittan Wilcox, and Chanhong Lee into our group. 8/2021
– Elizabeth Krotz receives a Graduate Fellowship for STEM Diversity (GFSD) to support her research. 8/2021
– Our lab receives support from the 7/2021 This is a collaborative research project with NSF Advanced Manufacturing (AM) program. to study additive manufacturing of functional emulsions. Prof. Eric Markvicka (UNL)
– Dohgyu receives the Best Poster Award for his work on Programmable Adhesion at the National Graduate Research Polymer Conference (NGRPC). 7/2021
– Prof. Bartlett visits and presents at the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL). 7/2021
– Prof. Bartlett presents at MRS and chairs a session on novel soft composites. 4/2021
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at Texas Tech in Mechanical Engineering. 4/2021
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited presentation at the 2021 ACS Spring Meeting in the Fundamentals of Polymer Mechanics session. 4/2021
– Prof. Bartlett receives the ICTAS Junior Faculty Award. 3/2021 VT news story.
– Dohgyu receives the 2021 Adhesion Society Distinguished Paper Award for his work on Programmable Adhesion. 3/2021
– Dohgyu, Ted, Haque, and Ravi present at the 2021 Adhesion Society meeting. Prof. Bartlett gave a keynote presentation and co-organized/chaired a session on the 50th anniversary of the JKR theory. 2/2021
– Prof. Bartlett’s News & Views article 2/2021 published in Liquid assets for soft electronics Nature Materials.
– Dohgyu receives the Peebles Award from the Adhesion Society. 12/2020
– Prof. Bartlett was a guest on the Soft Robotics Podcast. You can listen to the conversation on 11/2020 , SoundCloud , iTunes , and other podcast providers. Google Podcast
– Ted receives a Journeyman Fellowship through the Army Research Lab and ORAU. 8/2020
-The Soft Materials and Structures lab moves to Virginia Tech! 8/2020
– Lin successfully defends her PhD! 7/2020
– Ravi successfully defends his PhD! 7/2020
– Dohgyu successfully defends his Masters! 7/2020
– Prof. Bartlett and Rob Style write an editorial titled 6/2020 as guest editors for the special Introduction to Liquid Composites Soft Matter issue on ‘Liquid Composites.’ See the collection here.
– Haque receives a Postdoctoral Seed Grant from the Graduate College at Iowa State. 6/2020
– Prof. Bartlett’s 6/2020 presentation has been posted on World Science Festival . This is from the YouTube program in New York City in 2019. Cool Jobs
5/2020 – Prof. Bartlett receives a DARPA Director’s Fellowship Award.
– Dohgyu receives the Research Excellence Award from the Graduate College. Read more 3/2020 here.
– Haque, Ravi, Dohgyu, and Ted present at the Midwest Graduate Student Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM) Symposium. 3/2020
– Prof. Bartlett receives the Early Career Scientist Award from the Adhesion Society. 2/2020
– Ravi receives the Alan Gent Distinguished Student Award from the Adhesion Society. Read more 2/2020 here.
– Dohgyu, Ravi, and Prof. Bartlett attend and present at the Adhesion Society in Charleston, SC. Prof. Bartlett co-organized and co-chaired a session on Soft Materials for Soft Technology. 2/2020
– Dohgyu receives the Brown Graduate Fellowship. 1/2020
– Sarah is awarded the Dean’s High Impact Award for Undergraduate Research to support her research in the lab. 1/2020
– Ravi wins two awards. The Research Excellence Award from the Graduate College and the Peebles Award from the Adhesion Society. 12/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at the University of Illinois in the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering. 11/2019
11/2019 – Our lab hosted students for a Saturday morning outreach event with our soft robotic gripper kits and new slingshot activity. Science Bound
– Haque and Prof. Bartlett give presentations at the IMECE in Salt Lake City. 11/2019
– Prof. Bartlett receives a NASA Iowa Space Grant Early Career Investigator Research Grant. 11/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at Virginia Tech in the Macromolecules Innovation Institute (MII). 10/2019
– Prof. Bartlett is invited to be a guest editor for a special issue on ‘Liquid Composites’ for the journal 8/2019 Soft Matter.
– Our lab receives a Regents Innovation Fund (RIF) grant to develop active materials for advanced mechanical systems. 8/2019
– Doh-Gyu and Prof. Bartlett present posters at the Adhesion GRC. Doh-Gyu also give a presentation at the Adhesion GRS and is elected the 2020 GRS Co-Chair! 7/2019
– Prof. Bartlett presents at the 5/2019 in New York City in the World Science Festival program. Cool Jobs
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at the Pressure Sensitive Tape Council (PSTC) TECH 42 meeting. 5/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at Arizona State University. 4/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives a presentation at MRS Spring 2019 in Phoenix. 4/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives an invited seminar at 3M. 3/2019
– Prof. Bartlett gives a presentation and chairs a session at SPIE Smart Materials + NDE in Denver. 3/2019 Check out the presentation.
2/2019 – Ravi, Doh-Gyu, and Prof. Bartlett present at the 2019 Adhesion Society Annual Meeting in Hilton Head, SC. Prof. Bartlett chairs a session and serves as Chair of the Soft Adhesives Division.
1/2019 – Congratulations to Doh-Gyu for winning the Go for the Gold Award.
12/2018 – Congratulations to Ravi and Doh-Gyu for passing their preliminary exam.
– Prof. Bartlett gives a presentation at ASME-IMECE in Pittsburgh. 11/2018
10/2018 – Our lab hosted students for a Saturday morning event with our new soft robotic gripper kits. Check out the Science Bound video.
10/2018 – Prof. Bartlett part of multi-disciplinary team funded by NSF to study flexible resonant sensors. ISU team
9/2018 – Prof. Bartlett gives seminar in Chemical and Biological Engineering at Iowa State University
7/2018 – receives a 2018 DARPA Young Faculty Award. Prof. Bartlett
7/2018 – Our lab hosted a Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) summer camp event.
5/2018 – Doh-Gyu wins a poster award at the Pressure Sensitive Tape Council (PSTC) Tape Summit .
– Prof. Bartlett gives a presentation at MRS in Phoenix. 4/2018
– Undergraduate researcher Matthew Swift receives Stuart Honors Award for research in the lab. 3/2018
– Prof. Bartlett participates in AFRL 2030 at U. Nebraska. 3/2018
– Prof. Bartlett gives seminars in Mechanical Engineering at University of Nevada Reno & Iowa State University 3/2018
– Doh-Gyu, Ravi, and Prof. Bartlett present at the 2018 Adhesion Society Annual Meeting. 3/2018
04/2017 – Prof. Bartlett is awarded ESC’s student nominated Outstanding Faculty Award
04/2017 – Cole receives undergraduate research grant
03/2017 – Prof. Bartlett wins the Iowa State University Research Day Lightening Talk session
02/2017 – Paper on Thermally conductive liquid metal composites published
10/2016 – Morgan and Cole JOIN THE LAB
9/2016 – Paper on Wearable Biomonitoring published
9/2016 – Ravi, Dohgyu, Katie and Matt join the lab
9/2016 – SMS Lab Website Established